Swimming and fitness in the great outdoors is just one of many benefits of our temperate climate and beautiful surrounds.
Blessed with perhaps the most beautiful landscapes on the east coast of Australia, the Shoalhaven is home to the lush rainforests of Kangaroo Valley, our own hinterland near Milton and miles of exquisite beaches along its eastern boundary.
Stretching from Berry to North Durras, the balmy sea breezes of summer and the clean, crisp winter air give every reason to stay outdoors and keep the temperatures and climate of the Shoalhaven comfortable all year round.
From sea pools at the beach to poolside in our Centres, it's important to be aware of both yourself and your children when in and around water. For your own safety and the safety of others, we strongly recommend swimming at patrolled beaches.
To make your next trip to the beach safer, be aware of some of the main hazards and follow these simple tips:
- Always swim between the red and yellow flags
- Read the safety signs
- Ask a lifeguard or lifesaver for safety advice
- Swim with a friend
- If you need help, stay calm and attract attention by raising your arm above your head
- Never enter the water if you have been drinking alcohol or are under the influence of drugs
- Wear sunscreen, seek shade and stay hydrated
- Boat skippers and rockfishers should check the local forecast, seek advice from NSW Maritime and always wear a lifejacket
- If witnessing an in-water emergency, dial Triple Zero (000) - Police
- For information on Beach conditions or to find a patrolled beach near you, check out the BeachSafe website or download the mobile app
The Surf Lifesaving South Coast Inc is an affiliated Branch of Surf Life Saving Australia (NSW).
Our Branch is made up of 9 Surf Clubs, has over 3000 members and is one of 11 Branches in the state of NSW. We patrol beaches from Warilla / Barrack Point SLSC in the north, all the way down to Mollymook SLSC in the south.
Council's 2018 / 19 Professional Beach Patrol Services are set to begin at the beaches shown below - once again, we are expecting record crowds. 9am to 5pm daily services are provided on the following beaches:
Any variation to the above will be noted on official beach signage, this website and Facebook pages for:
- Bomaderry Aquatic Centre
- Nowra Aquatic Park
- Bay & Basin Leisure Centre
- Ulladulla Leisure Centre